There are currently 360 YouthBuild programs around the globe:
- 14,000 young people were engaged as YouthBuild participants
- 1.7 million community-service leadership hours were performed
- 2,300 community-asset building projects, including 2,000 units of affordable housing, were completed
- 7,300 YouthBuild graduates were placed in jobs, education, entrepreneurship, and other opportunities leading to productive livelihoods
In the United States:
Over 148,000 YouthBuild students have performed 48 million community service hours and produced over 32,000 units of affordable, increasingly green housing in rural and urban communities across the USA. The ripple effects of this work through young people helping family members, friends, and neighbors cannot be measured.
260 YouthBuild programs in the United States engaged nearly 8,000 low-income young adults who had left high school without a diploma; approximately 30% have been court-involved. These programs achieved the following remarkable outcomes:
- 74% of all enrollees obtained their high school equivalency credentials, high school diplomas, and/or industry-recognized credentials
- 54% of all enrollees went on to postsecondary education or jobs
- 73% of those placed retained their placement for at least six months
- Recidivism rates within one year of enrollment for all court-involved YouthBuild students averaged 11%
The average cost per participant for a full year in the United States including wages and stipends for work performed is about $22,000.
There are 100 YouthBuild International locations in 21 countries:
- 6,000 participants were engaged
- 300,000 community-service leadership hours were performed
- 300 community asset building projects were completed ranging from housing upgrades and public space reclamation to school renovations
- 3,000 YouthBuild International graduates obtained placements leading to productive livelihoods
The average cost per young person enrolled in YouthBuild programs outside of the United States varies according to the country context and the adaptations to the local YouthBuild program design that may include adjustments to program length, balance of focus between technical training and basic education, and length of program follow-up. Examples of cost per young person served in international YouthBuild programs ranges from $1,500/young person (El Salvador, Haiti, Peru), to $2,500- $4,500/young person (Brazil, Israel, Mexico, South Africa).
Read more about: