Chief Executive Officer, YouthBuild USA Inc.
YouthBuild seeks a CEO who is fired up and outraged by the pervasive poverty and racial injustice that all too often strip youth of fundamental opportunities for education and employment. The CEO must share a firm conviction regarding the inherent goodness and sacred value of every human being and lead with a sense of urgency to eradicate poverty and create a pathway for young people to contribute their energy, talent and intelligence to strengthen their communities and the larger society.
Basic Functions of the CEO
- The CEO will provide the vision and leadership to set a path for dynamic organizational growth and impact, building upon YouthBuild’s effective track record of cultivating and promoting community leadership. It is of primary importance that the CEO provides the management acumen, intellect, conviction and passion necessary to coordinate the efforts of a motivated management and programmatic staff.
- The CEO will oversee the day-to-day operations and programs and implement the mission and goals as set forth by the Board of Directors. He/she will work with the senior management team and Board to provide the strategy and direction to ensure that YouthBuild’s programs and services are delivered in a cost-effective and efficient manner while maintaining the highest level of quality, and that YouthBuild’s role and visibility in influencing the systems affecting low-income young people are expanded.
- Working closely with and reporting to the Board, the CEO will ensure that the organization remains fiscally and administratively sound and that finances, information systems, planning and operations are strategically managed. The CEO will represent the organization externally, developing and implementing initiatives to significantly increase support through innovative and active fundraising.
Responsibilities and Priorities
- Leadership – Lead with an inspirational strategic vision, while keeping a finger on the pulse internally of day-to-day operations, services and activities. Lead a highly motivated, competent and committed team with a common vision and sense of purpose.
- Resource Development – Grow and broaden a sound funding base, expanding both government and private funding, including from foundations, corporations and individual donors.
- Public Advocacy – Serve as a passionate and persuasive advocate, and build the organization’s capacity to spread best practices and influence public policy aimed at enhancing education, workforce, and national service opportunities for youth while reforming the juvenile and criminal justice systems.
- Movement Building – Build the movement spirit and democratic engagement within the network of affiliates. Build a united movement of young leaders, including alumni, prepared to promote their solutions to poverty and injustice and mobilize their peers in civic engagement.
- Board Relations – Establish a strong working partnership with the Board of Directors, bringing forth their best ideas and efforts in support of YouthBuild’s programs and fundraising activities, and continue to strengthen the Board through the effective recruitment of new members as needed.
- General Management, Administration, Finance and Planning – Review YouthBuild’s administrative and management systems, internal policies and procedures. Make and implement recommendations for their continued enhancement. Supervise the development of YouthBuild’s budgets. Ensure that sound financial controls are in place and that funds are spent wisely. Support, manage and implement the strategic plan.
- Relationship Building – Engage stakeholders worldwide around YouthBuild’s activities. Build upon existing partnerships and seek new strategic alliances to promote YouthBuild’s mission and work.
- Growth and Quality Improvement – Build upon YouthBuild’s history of success and its strong foundation for best practices in youth development, empowerment and community leadership. Achieve maximum growth in programs’ direct impact with fidelity to the philosophy and focus on strategies for promoting continuous improvement of programs within YouthBuild’s affiliated network to ensure high quality. Develop a vision for excellence and growth, including both domestic and international expansion. Enhance the organization’s visibility and influence.
- Performance Management – Assess and evaluate the organizational structure, staff and functions. Make changes where necessary to ensure that programs and operations are effective and that collaboration, communication and accountability are the norm. Measure efficacy of service delivery with a clear sense of metrics. Continue to work with independent evaluators on program impact.
Ideal Experience and Characteristics
The CEO will have or be:
- Unwavering determination to eradicate poverty and a steadfast commitment to building upon the assets of youth to become positive leaders and transformational change agents in their communities. A superb role model for youth who can empathize with the struggles and celebrate the triumphs of low-income young people.
- Proven managerial, problem-solving and strategic-planning skills and commensurate fiscal responsibilities as a senior executive with a nonprofit organization or a government agency, preferably in the field of human services, youth development and poverty alleviation.
- Demonstrated ability to balance long-term strategic vision with daily operational issues. A collaborative manager with the ability to attract and nurture high-performing talent.
- Deep experience working effectively and in partnership with a board of directors.
- Sensitivity, appreciation, and skill in promoting and achieving cultural and racial diversity at all levels of the organization.
- A gifted and talented fundraiser who unequivocally enjoys and relishes the opportunity to secure resources from private and public funders. A demonstrated ability to capitalize public relations opportunities as they arise.
- Knowledge of how best to partner with government. The political sophistication to navigate the legislative process and secure support of Congress and federal departments within the executive branch.
- Knowledge and experience with international development.
- The community-organizing skills to inspire effective movement building.
- A consensus builder with an inclusive style and an appreciation for bottom-up democracy.
- An inspirational public speaker adept at addressing a variety of diverse audiences.
- Demonstrable success as a social entrepreneur and a steward of responsible growth in scaling an organization.
- A self-reflective nature with the ability to listen effectively.
YouthBuild seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Applications, including cover letters and résumés, and nominations should be sent to the attention of Paul Spivey at YouthBuild@PhillipsOppenheim.com.
YouthBuild USA offers competitive salary and benefits, including health coverage, a 401(k) savings plan, life insurance, and disability benefits. Salary will be negotiable, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, military status, veteran status, or genetic information. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) To file a complaint of discrimination write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.