The YouthBuild USA Affiliated Network was created at the initiative of local YouthBuild directors in 1992 to help ensure the integrity of the YouthBuild program model, provide a support and learning network for YouthBuild program staff, and to strengthen the YouthBuild movement in its support and advocacy for low-income youth.
The Affiliated Network is made up of over 170 YouthBuild programs that have committed to uphold the YouthBuild philosophy and standards, submit outcome data, and participate in the Affiliated Network as the core of the YouthBuild movement.
The Affiliated Network supports:
- The replication of the YouthBuild program model and the achievement of maximum impact in their communities.
- The growth, quality and stability of affiliated YouthBuild programs no matter what their funding sources are, through trainings, technical assistance, resources, and other benefits of affiliation.
- The unity of all programs to contribute to a movement by and for low-income youth, working together to address conditions in their communities that contribute to poverty and inadequate schools and youth services, through advocacy work at the local, state, and federal levels.
- A set of program design and performance standards and benchmarks which affiliated YouthBuild members can use to measure their progress.
- The operation of the Affiliated Network as a democratically-run organization, including the National Directors Council; the National Alumni Council; and the Young Leaders Council.